Sorry again for the lack of blogging my computer and its dreaded virus, still haven’t been fixed. Moving swiftly on to Portugal I made this delicious soup a few weeks ago and it seemed to have enough to last me forever. This has definately been one of my favourite recipes, so read on to make yours.
I followed the Hairy Bikers recipe which was quite simple.
- 2 nice fat onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60ml/2¼fl oz olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage
- 6 large potatoes
- 1.5 litres/2 pints 13fl oz good vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- large bunch of greens or cabbage
- smoked paprika and olive oil, for dressing
1. Cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent.
2. Chop the sausage into small chunks and add to the onion
3. Cook the onions and sausage for a few more minutes and then add the diced potatoes. They will absorb all the flavour from the sausage.
4. Transfer the mixture to a large pan, add the stock, seasoning and bay leaves, and cook until the potatoes are soft.
5. Meanwhile, very finely chop the cabbage.
6. When the potatoes are ready, mash them into the broth to make a thick base. Blanch the greens in boiling water for one minute to take off any bitterness, drain, then add to the simmering broth.
7. Add as much cabbage as the broth will support – if you want heavy soup add loads of greens, if lighter, add less.
8. Simmer for a few minutes. The soup will go the colour of jade.
9. Mix the smoked paprika with some olive oil to make a dressing, and swirl this red magic into the vibrant green soup.
10. Serve with some heavy country bread, and wallow in praise.
What I thought: “This soup tasted absolutely amazing and was definately worth the cooking time. I got a bit mixed up during the cooking process and added the paprika a bit too early, meaning that my soup didnt actually turn a shade of green. Definately something I will be making again.”
The taste test:
Jo Thomas, 26, Neath
“I loved the taste and the greens made it quite hearty and healthy.”
Miss Trays xxx